Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cheery magnetic message board


Quite awhile ago I pinned an idea for a magnetic message board made out of a cookie sheet that had been covered in fabric.

I thought this was a genius idea (and still do!). I've seen similar renditions all over the blogosphere since then, but I still wanted to make my own. It is such a simple idea and looks so darn cute when finished.

For my version, I picked up a round pizza pan at the dollar store and some cheery scrapbook paper and ribbon at the craft supply store.


I know it's fall and the Christmas season is approaching, but I couldn't resist the friendly grey and yellow colour scheme. Please excuse the spring/summer look of this project even though it's November. Perhaps the sunny yellow will add some cheer to dreary November days.

I cut the paper in a circle the size of the pan. I used my VERY OLD compass from my high school math set to draw the circle. It was JUST big enough to draw the circumference I needed. Then I cut it out carefully with scissors.


My always-so-helpful husband drilled paper-punch-sized holes in the pan for me. I sanded the pan a bit to smooth off any rough edges made by the drill. Then I lined up the scrapbook paper and punched holes in the same spot.


I took the lazy simple route and used double-sided tape to adhere the paper to the pan. Next I fed the ribbon through the holes and tied a simple bow. Doesn't the finished product look so sweet?


Thanks goes out to my sister-in-law for the lovely ceramic magnets. I've had them for awhile but they always looked a little too nice on my rather busy refrigerator. The magnets were on my mind when I was planning this project and picking out materials. I think they suit perfectly.

I like the finished product so much, I don't want to stick any messages to it! This whole project cost me about $3.

So now that I've got this springtime-looking project complete, it's on to Christmas decor!

Stay tuned next week for some special posts about DIY Christmas ornaments. I'm honoured to be collaborating with some other fantastic bloggers on this Christmas project spearheaded by Shannon at {aka}design.


I'm linking up with these great link parties this week. Be sure to check them out!

10 comments:

  1. LOVE this sweet magnet board. Gotta try this. Pinned:) I posted "dolled up" to the picket fence. Following your blog now. Follw me too at www.sewsweetvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will check out your dolled up post over at beyond the picket fence.

      Delete
  2. this is a good idea for a pizza pan! steven helped pick those magnets out so he is especially pleased that they are featured here. haha. oh and i love that you've kept your high school compass all this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Won. The magnets look so good with this, so thanks to you AND Steven.

      Delete
  3. What a pretty and usable idea, and how fun to make as a gift idea! Thanks for linking up to Think Tank Thursday last week! I am pinning this idea for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning! I have seen tutorials before for similar DIYs but this one takes the cake-It looks so custom and beautiful. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Amy! Your words are so kind. I'm glad you like it!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and read every one!